±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· 10 Things To Think About Before You Move Abroad In Your Middle Age
· Expat Focus Financial Update August 2017
· What Could Higher Interest Rates Mean For Your Overseas Property Purchase?
· Expat Focus Financial Update July 2017
· The Lifestyles And Cultures Of Great Expat Locations
· Understanding Exchange Rates for Your Overseas Property Purchase
· Interview With Duncan Khoury, Head of Marketing, World First Australia
· Expat Focus Financial Update June 2017
· Relocation Destinations For The Politically Minded And Socially Progressive Expat
Property PricesBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
South Africa - Property Prices
The largest growth in terms of property values is in Cape Town and Durban, though the other larger cities offer similar patterns. These locations have seen the most growth mainly because of an influx of foreign investors and expats. They also typically offer higher levels of employment and a better standard of living.
South Africa, like much of the world, has seen a decrease in property values over the last 12 to 24 months (as at 2010). In fact, some estimates state that the current rates are the lowest they have been in 23 years. Higher unemployment and less consumer spending has further decreased property values. On the other hand, South Africa has a strong rental market, which is particularly popular with foreign nationals moving into the cities. A fully furnished, two bedroom unit may cost about $500 to rent per month in one of the larger cities.
- An upmarket, larger four bedroom home on the beach with amenities such as pools and Jacuzzi, fully furnished priced at ZAR 2.2 million.
- A smaller home with a cottage feel and just one bedroom, with views of the sea, sold furnished, priced around ZAR 400,000.
- An upmarket secure flat with two bedrooms on the beach costing ZAR 800,000 to ZAR 850,000.
- New construction here ranges widely in terms of cost. However, a new property, with a distant view of the sea, a garden, automated garage, pool and with two bedrooms and two baths could cost ZAR 2.4 million.
As always, the best way to get accurate, up to date pricing is to work with a local real estate agent.
Read more about this country
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.