±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· 10 Things To Think About Before You Move Abroad In Your Middle Age
· Expat Focus Financial Update August 2017
· What Could Higher Interest Rates Mean For Your Overseas Property Purchase?
· Expat Focus Financial Update July 2017
· The Lifestyles And Cultures Of Great Expat Locations
· Understanding Exchange Rates for Your Overseas Property Purchase
· Interview With Duncan Khoury, Head of Marketing, World First Australia
· Expat Focus Financial Update June 2017
· Relocation Destinations For The Politically Minded And Socially Progressive Expat
Retiring & PensionsBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Bulgaria - Retiring & Pensions
- Rent before you buy property to see if an area suits you. Be aware, though, that prices are likely to rise when Bulgaria joins the EU (expected 2007).
- Investigate local amenities, including medical facilities. How near are they and will they meet your needs, especially if you are in poor health?
- Medical insurance. Those working in Bulgaria pay contributions entitling them to free medical treatment, but this does not apply to retirees. Private treatment is affordable compared to Western Europe, but you may well be better protected by a comprehensive medical insurance plan.
- Inform the relevant authorities in your home country before you leave. UK nationals can call the International Pensions Centre on 0191 218 7777.
- If you are buying property, find out how much deposit is required, as this may cause problems.
- Wills and inheritance - consider making a will to cover assets at home AND a separate one for assets in Bulgaria. Seek professional advice to minimise potential difficulties.
- Learn Bulgarian, if possible, so you can communicate with others besides English-speaking expats.
Read more about this country
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.